- Social Media
- Active Citizenship
- Good Giving
- Corporate Responsibility
- Be Fearless
Mother’s Day is meaningful because it allows us the opportunity to say thank you to our moms who have selflessly given so much of themselves over the years and encouraged us to be fearless—through guidance, that extra nudge of encouragement to take risks, or pointing us in the right direction.. And as we search for a way to say thank you for their inspiration and support, we should keep in mind gifts that give back.
Several organizations have embraced the idea of giving back to honor our mothers. Instead of opting for the traditional flowers as a gift, why not support companies that attach their products or services to a social cause? How about giving to a nonprofit that you know your mother would love?
Here are 10 ideas (some last minute!) to help you find the perfect gift that gives back this Mother’s Day:
• The practical fashion clothing store Ann Taylor will be donating 90 percent of its gift card sales to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
• Global Giving, a fundraising platform for charities and nonprofits, is offering a free Mother’s Day gift when a person makes a donation to select nonprofit organizations through its site.
• Powered by Ebay, World of Good is an online marketplace for socially and environmentally shopping.
• For mothers who love glamour, Viva Glam Lipstick offers several cosmetic products, donating every cent of the selling price of VIVA GLAM Lipstick and Lipglass to the M•A•C AIDS Fund to support men, women, and children living with HIV and AIDS.
• For every pair of TOM’s shoes purchased, the organization gives a pair of shoes away to a child in need. Check out these ballet flats inspired by Native American prints.
• Ten Thousand Villages offers handmade jewelry from local artisans around the world at fair trade market value.
• With every purchase of these sporty One T-shirts, you’ll be helping to spread awareness about the fight against extreme poverty and preventable diseases.
• Give the gift of relaxation with a Raven & Lily soap set. Handmade in Northern India using locally grown ingredients and fresh spring water, proceeds fund literacy programs for the women artisans and children in the community.
• Help mothers around the world obtain access to clean water with the Kwiat Waterdrop bracelet, benefiting charity: water.
• For the moms that love to bake, check out this stylish mixer from KitchenAid. With each purchase, a portion of the proceeds will go towards cancer research.
While these are just a few examples, we hope these gift ideas help you find one that is just right for your mom – whether it’s with Survivor Chick chocolates where 100% of the proceeds fund cancer research, or with a trendy Project Iris T-shirt which donates a percentage of every purchase to the World Food Bank.
Still stuck? How about spending the day with mom volunteering and #goodspotting?
And because we want to hear your stories about how your mom has inspired you to Be Fearless, we’re giving away some gifts of our own for Mother’s Day: through May 14, share how your mom has inspired you to take risks and dream big in our Facebook sweepstakes, and enter to win an instant mobile photo printer and/or a $25 Network for Good charity gift card. You can enter here.